Thursday 4 January 2018

Book favoritism: Looking back on 2017

I love the ticking over of a new year as a chance to reflect and plan. Looking back on 2017, I have had a great reading journey. This is reflected in my high average rating of books: 3.9 according to Goodreads! Not bad at all! I revisited some of my favourite authors (Sharon Bolton, Jane Casey, Ruth Ware, Michael Robotham, Mary Kubica and Jane Harper to name a few) and discovered quite a lot of new ones I will keep looking out for.

Some of my all-time favourites last year were discovered through the supportive bookish communities on Goodreads and Instagram – thank you to all who pointed me in the direction of some fantastic reads! I love interacting with other readers on social media, and spend way too much time online browsing. Despite this, I still managed to surpass my 2017 reading challenge by 23 books, with 123 read in total.

It is never easy to choose favourites, but there were a few books that stood out from the rest, and I cannot help myself but sing their praise here. And perhaps you will find your next favourite read amongst the list!

The Scandal Favourite book (male author): The Scandal (or “Beartown”) by Fredrik Backman
You Be Mother Favourite book (female author): You Be Mother by Meg Mason
Force of Nature (Aaron Falk, #2) Favourite book in a series: Force of Nature by Jane Harper
99 Red Balloons Favourite debut novel: 99 Red Balloons by Elisabeth Carpenter
Bird Box Favourite dystopian novel: Bird Box by Josh Malerman
The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane Favourite historical novel: The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Laneby Lisa See
The Woman in the Window Favourite psychological thriller: The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
Dark Pines Watching You Favourite Scandinavian noir: Dark Pines by Will Dean; and Watching You by Arne Dahl
Little Fires Everywhere Favourite family drama: Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
The Child Finder Favourite first book in a new series (can’t wait to read the next one): The Child Finder by Rene’s Denfeld
All the Light We Cannot See Best bookclub book: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine Most interesting / unusual protagonist general fiction: EleanorOliphant is completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
Eyes Like Mine Most interesting / unusual protagonist mystery / suspense: Eyes Like Mine by Sheena Kamal
Our Endless Numbered Days Best audiobook (and one I still can’t get out of my head): OurEndless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller
Dead Woman Walking Most anticipated read that lived up to all expectations: Dead Woman Walking by Sharon Bolton
The Weight of Lies Most creative narration / format: The Weight of Lies by Emily Carpenter (which contained a book within a book)
The Kind Worth Killing Favourite from my older TBR pile: The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson

I also established my bookstagram account early in 2017, and have been having great fun with my bookish photos, featuring nature at its best in the beautiful Great Southern region. I hate to admit this, but at times the idea for a bookstagram image was a great motivator to get me out hiking in winter. So I also have to include my personal favourite bookstagram photo in this post – which contains my favourite book cover of 2017 – doesn’t that eye look so creepy!



Reflecting on my reading goals for 2018 – to be honest, I don’t have much of a plan, preferring to be taken on a surprise journey. Some of my all-time favourite books have come out of left field, surprising me by appearing just as I needed them most. The only thing I want to try is to expand my armchair travel map by a few more countries – but I will explain this in another post. For now, I am loving the clean slate 2018 is presenting. Inviting new and wonderful books into my life, and welcoming suggestions.

Thank you for being part of my reading journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment